Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Little Eyes.

We were leaving the library the other day. We had just reached the car, about to load up when we heard the roar of a Harley behind us. The man was slowing down to drop some books in the book drop, which was right in front of where we had parked. 

Jeremiah has recently found a love for all things with motors, but especially with "motor bicycles" as he calls them. He stood frozen beside me, watching the man on the bike as he drove closer and closer.
The man slowed down even more, looked right at Jeremiah and waved. 

You should have seen the look of joy in my little boy's eyes at that moment. Big smile. Wave back. And a solid hour of talking about that "motor bicycle man" afterwards. 

We came home, had dinner, went to bed, and life went on. I forgot all about the ordeal. Jeremiah, however, did not.

Tonight at dinner Rachel asked me if she could be an artist when she grows up. We have these conversations often, and they pretty much always go down the same way.

Rachel: Mommy, can I be an artist (or dancer, or singer) when I grow up?
Mommy: If that's what you want to be, and you work really hard, you can be an artist.
Rachel: I DO want to be an artist!
Jeremiah: I want to be an artist too!

Every time it's the same. Jeremiah always plays "Me Too" in the conversation.

Tonight was differnet.

Rachel wants to be an artist. I tell her to go for it. Jeremiah sits quiestly, almost as if he is deep in thought.

Rachel breaks the silence by asking "Jeremiah, do you want to be an artist too?"

Jeremiah answers her in his typical run on sentence with his sweet little two-year-old voice:
"No, I want to be a motor bicycle man and  drive the loud motor bicycle down the road with all the books and go slowly and wave at the little boys. I will wave at baby Marshall. I think that would be fun and nice and the little boys will wave back at me."

It amazes me how such a small, insignificant detail can be such a big deal to children. That man took a second to wave at my son, and that single act made a big impact on Jeremiah.

I was reminded of my niece, Emma, who told me last time I saw her that she had fun that time I came to her house and we square danced together in the living room....almost 2 years ago.

Kids are very impressionable. They have incredible memories. They will remember your actions better than you will sometimes. They remember if you go the extra step for them. If you build a fort with them, take them out for ice cream, or tell them "Not now, I'm busy". It doesn't just roll off their little minds...they remember. Your actions are making an impact on their lives whether you know it or not. Even a simple wave can make a difference. Please don't forget that.



No comments:

Post a Comment